[Beowulf] Re: Finally, a solution for the 64 core 4TB RAM market

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu May 28 08:11:37 PDT 2009

Jason Riedy wrote:

> code, and the sequential/slow parts are faster.  The main
> difference will be in I/O, but bumping the memory way up will make
> I/O less important for many uses.

Er ... ah ... no.  It will only delay the inevitable.  It won't
eliminate it.

Blue Gene units have massive main memories.  And they aim for very fast
IO.  Same with most of the other big iron.

If you have to do IO, you should do it as fast as you can do it
(safely), so you can minimize that fraction spent in serial IO
operations.  Yeah, MPI-IO ... parallel operations across a collection of
inherently serial resources ...

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO