[Beowulf] Station wagon full of tapes

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue May 26 08:27:53 PDT 2009

The flip side to your arguments is that I may not want my tax dollars
spent on allowing the NIH to operate peta-scale data repositories. I
can't be more specific than this -- my most recent exposure to a large
government life science directorate revealed that they were spending
$500K/year on EMC maintenance costs for a few tens-of-TBs worth of
disk arrays that were going on 6 years old!

I think my main interest in utility storage providers is that they can
offer geographical redundancy and large capacity at efficiencies that
can't be matched locally by individual institutions or even local
groups of institutions. When I look at the full costs of hosting,
operating and replicating the data in a local facility the numbers
from the "utility" providers start to look more attractive.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. The rate at
which raw disk cost is shrinking in price is amazing and may choke off
the profit for the utility providers who have invested heavily in
building out.

My $.02 of course!

>>> Jeff