[Beowulf] Station wagon full of tapes

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue May 26 05:27:09 PDT 2009

There was an interesting brainstorming session at Rocks-A-Palooza a
couple of weeks ago.  Someone wants to offer Amazon resources.  Problem
remains for me: How can I get sufficient cloud resources for computing
(I'll hammer on dataset transport in a moment) that will handle
reasonable weather models with their small message MPI chatter, and lots
of file I/O?  I've been assured that Amazon's ready to accommodate that.

However, getting data into S3 for availability, when a daily
multi-gigabyte dataset is used for initiation, and another is created as
output, is going to be expensive, and likely slow.  I think there are
other approaches that have to be evaluated.  I am not sure the cloud is
ready for MPI play on a significant basis, just yet.

I can envision it for small, embarrassingly parallel, low-communications
jobs.  *atHome comes to mind, but they're already tapping spare cycles
-- at peoples home PCs -- and aren't likely to pay for this.

Another potential use: A company or research group doesn't know if they
want to dip into HPC.  They can "rent" a virtual cluster in the cloud,
and if the results warrant, consider getting their own real cluster, or
buying into a campus infrastructure condominium model.

gerry