[Beowulf] TCP connect error: ECONNREFUSED.

David Simas dgs at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Mar 31 10:57:03 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 02:14:50PM +0100, J?rg Sa?mannshausen wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am having this rather anoying problem with the parallel execution of
> one of the programs (GAMESS US version) on our cluster. The error
> message is:
>
>  TCP connect error: ECONNREFUSED.
>  TCP: Connect failed. comp10 -> comp02.chem.strath.ac.uk:42208.
>  A fatal error occurred on DDI Process 0.
>  TCP connect error: ECONNREFUSED.
>  TCP: Connect failed. comp10 -> comp02.chem.strath.ac.uk:42208.
>  A fatal error occurred on DDI Process 60.
>  TCP connect error: ECONNREFUSED.
>  TCP: Connect failed. comp10 -> comp02.chem.strath.ac.uk:42208.
>  A fatal error occurred on DDI Process 2.
>  TCP connect error: ECONNREFUSED.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> Eventually, the ddicick tips over and the whole thing crashes. The
> program is using rsh (yes, I know, security, I did not install the
> cluster!) and I can rsh comp10 -> comp02 and there is no firewall
> installed between the nodes (at least, not that I am aware of). Trying
> to run the same job with the same number of nodes will fail X times and
> at X+1 suddenly work. I could not work out a pattern for that (other
> that I get exponentially annoyed). Right now, there is only one gigabit
> network connecting the cluster, so nfs, mpi etc. is all running over one
> interface (again, I did not set up the cluster).

How rapidly are these rsh connection attempts occuring?  The rsh protocol
requires connections from privileged ports - less than 1024.   If a host
attempts to make more than 1024 to another host in less than TCP TIME-WAIT
seconds, it will run out ports and the connections will fail.   I've seen
this occur with parallel applications using rsh.

David S.