[Beowulf] Re: typical latencies for gigabit ethernet

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Jun 30 06:10:59 PDT 2009

Dave Love wrote:
> Gerry Creager <gerry.creager at tamu.edu> writes:
>
>> I had rather nasty results with tg3 and abandoned it.  We're using bnx2
>> now.  The latest iteration seems (guardedly) better than the last one.
>
> I thought that they were for different hardware (NetXtreme I
> c.f. NetXtreme II, according to broadcom.com).  Is that not the case?
>
> If bnx2 behaves the same as tg3 here, set rx-frames to 1 with ethtool.

Anaconda (CentOS2 originally installed a tg3 driver.  Performance sucked
(technical term) with that and we went to a bnx2 driver consistent with
our understanding of the hardware.  It sucked less.  Not until a recent
combined BIOS update on the Dell 1950s and a new bnx2 driver, have I
begun to see decent operation at 9000 byte frames.

gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983