[Beowulf] Cluster Networking

richard.walsh at comcast.net richard.walsh at comcast.net
Fri Jun 26 13:42:01 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Layton" <laytonjb at att.net>
To: "Greg Lindahl" <lindahl at pbm.com>

>> CFD codes come in many shapes and sizes, so generalizing about them is
>> not a good idea. Really.
>>
>I definitely agree. That's why I said "usually" :)

Sources of unpredictable (non-pipeline-able) latency in CFD
include turbulent flows that move areas requiring denser meshes
around your data partition space, chemistry and mixing that require
the conditional invocation different kernel physics, particle tracking,
and complicated fluid surface interactions among other things.

Of course, the latency we are talking about here is a multi-tiered
phenomenon involving non-node-local memory references, local
memory indexed or non-strided reference patterns, and the companion
cache-related complications.

rbw