[Beowulf] Erlang Usage

Marian Marinov mm at yuhu.biz
Wed Jun 24 07:39:10 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 24 June 2009 16:46:45 Douglas Eadline wrote:
> I have played with Erlang quite a bit (not built any
> real programs however) I like Erlang for several reasons
>
> - functional
> - open and freely available
> - production level implementation (Ericsson)
>
> You can write Erlang programs that run on one core,
> multiple cores, or multiple servers. Erlang is based on
> concurrent processes and messages. It also has the
> capability to "hot swap" code while programs are running.
>
> As far as HPC, Erlang is interpreted although it can be "compiled"
> and it does not directly support the idea of an array. Plus
> if you are not familiar with functional languages, it may seem
> a bit weird.
>
> If you want to check it out, you can download a version
> at erlang.org (it is often part of many distributions).
> Plus have pick up a copy of Joe Armstrong's "Programming
> Erlang: Software for a Concurrent World"
>
> --
> Doug

I'm already writing some programs in Erlang(also no real work done). I'm
already familiar with most of it and also read Joe Amstrong's book :)

It is really strange but in a good way :) Combining ideas of different
programming languages. It is fun to write in it. But still I don't have any
real application for it, this is why I asked if anyone has done any real work
with it.

Regards,
Marian