[Beowulf] noobs: what comes next?

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Mon Jun 22 14:39:46 PDT 2009

If you want to build a small cheap usable cluster check this out.

  http://limulus.basement-supercomputing.com/

The project is moving a little slow, but that is because
I have been working on packaging everything (16 cores
using quads) in one case with one power supply.
(more on the project page)

Some software announcements will be forthcoming as well.

Actually, I think of it as more of a parallel workstation
than a production cluster.

--
Doug

>>    We're trying to assemble something that's really cheap (both on
>> hardware as well as power costs) and that still can do some work. I
>> would run some coarse grid CFD cases for my MSc on the little guy.
> Does
>> this make any sense at all?
>>
>>    We know that the proper thing would be to benchmark, and then
> scale,
>> but in this noobish cheap baby case, there's nothing really to
>> benchmark
>> for. If we manage to get it working and it proves to be worth doing at
>> least some coarse grid CFD runs, it would be great for a start.
>>

> It does sound good.
>
> I would guess you are looking are looking at using OpenFOAM for the CFD
> solver?
> One thing to look at though - how much RAM does each of these board
> have?
>

> You might be better using the recipe for the cheap cluster on Doug
> Eadlines Clustermonkey site.
> http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/view/211/33/
> By doing away with the cases they made a much cheaper cluster.
> If you use standard-sized motherboards you might get cheaper parts to
> suit them,
> And also have spare PCI clots for (say) a second gigabit network.
>

> Pps. I hate to say this, but pragmatically with 6 of these boards you
> get 12 times 1.6Ghz cores.
> You can buy single workstations with eight cores of Nehalem at 2.6 Ghz
> for not a lot of money.
> You can still program these using MPI, and run Openfoam on them if your
> aim really is to get runs done
> For your MSc.
> If on the other hand, you want to learn about clusters buy the boards
> and let us know how it works!
>

> The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of
> the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not
> copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return
> it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.

Doug