[Beowulf] Some beginner's questions on cluster setup

Dmitry Zaletnev dzaletnev at yandex.ru
Thu Jul 9 18:21:12 PDT 2009

Hi, Jess!
I've read your message about Jesswolf from mailing list. And i've a question: i've a small training-purposes installation of PC running Linux and two SonyPS3 running CentOS-base YDL 6.1 or Fedora 11 connected through Gigabit AT unmanaged swith. Is Jesswulf a crossplatform solution? I've encountered difficulties in building OpenFOAM on them from sources - the main trouble is gcc for ppc ver. 4.1 when OpenFOAM wants 4.2 min, and there's something that prevent OpenFOAM from running resulting binaries for ppc platform.
I'd like to try on this installation diskless setup, but not sure that PS3 support such features, however it has USB and two network interfaces: GLAN and WLAN.
That's my training "clussroom" in cluster technologies and I'm not sure that some CFD-software in which I'm interested for my postgraduate studies support ppc64/cbea architecture.
My professor told me that my PS3's and nVidia G80 and Crossplatform .Net are "the day after tommorow", and recommended me work with mass-market solutions and MPI but i'm going on with an idea of heterogenious home cluster.
There are two reasons preventing me of using Rapidmind API: they do not support OS's that work with PS3 firmware rev.2.70 and they do not answer on my e-mails, so I cannot knew their pricing.

Thanks in advance,

Dmitry

PS The only distros that i encounted to work with my PS3 firmware rev.2.70 are Fedora 11 ppc, YellowDog 6.1 (new), Ubuntu 8.10 PS3 Server. The previous releases do not install, Debian Lennie ppc also.