[Beowulf] Consumer vs. Enterprise Hard Drives in Clusters

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 21 17:35:06 PST 2009

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 05:21:25PM -0800, Jon Forrest wrote:
>
>> As a wise man once said, "Why pay more?".
>
> A wise man once told me to not price weird stuff at newegg.

An even wiser man once told me that Seagate 1TB drives
aren't weird stuff. They're the same no matter where you
buy them. In other words, they're commodity drives.

> If you look back on this mailing list you'll find that for a long time people
> had a hard time efficiently buying ECC RAM from places like newegg
> that didn't sell much of it...  but system vendors could get better
> prices.

If newegg claims to have part #XXX, where part #XXX is what
the motherboard vendor says you need, then I see no problem
buying from them.

Jon