[Beowulf] Problem with ext3 filesystem?

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Fri Feb 13 10:36:02 PST 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 at 8:52pm, Eugen Leitl wrote

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 01:27:56PM -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>
>> 16TB ext3 support was included as a technology preview in RHEL5 and fully
>> supported in 5.1.  I've got a couple of >8TB ext3 FSes.  Why ext3?
>> Because nothing else is as well supported by the vendor on RHEL/CentOS.
>> For primary file servers, I don't want to muck about with add-on kernel
>> modules, "plus" kernels, or anything else of that sort.  I want to run as
>> close to stock as possible.  And on anything RHEL derived, that means
>> ext3.
>
> Don't you get creeping data corruption on 10+ worth of TByte drives?
> And not even RAID6? I'd definitely get drives from different batches,
> or preage them randomly.

Erm, I never mentioned the type of drives or setup.  I've got one with 24
500GB SATA drives and another with 16 1TB SAS drives.  And, yes, both use
RAID6.  Short of a 3ware firmware issue on the first system (leading to
crashes, subsequent fscks, but no lost data and which is now fixed), both
are running smoothly.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin