[Beowulf] interconnect and compiler ?

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 11 20:43:53 PST 2009

Hi Patrick,

Interesting to know that you nowadays market ethernet cards. Still
some knowledge on other companies switches
you also seem to posses. Congrats.

My faith in the switch and crossbars is actually quite high. Not so
much in the MPI-cards however.
Let's assume for now that I was speaking of highend network cards
that receive and send MPI packets in our myri cluster.

Let's say we got a cool quad xeon MP node @ 64 logical cores @ 3.x
Ghz. Soon a very popular machine i'd guess.
Not really any other x86 cpu that can take it on head to head.

The upcoming release of the 'beckton' cpu from intel. The monster
that probably
eats more power than any intel x86 cpu before :)

Feeding the monster node is not so dead easy.

Just look at 1 node now please. You've got at the MPI card 1 big long
packet of a few megabyte that gets received.
Idemdito a few other threads get a few megabyte sized packets. At
same time of all this, the card
also gets a packet of a few bytes for thread 42.

What is the time now for thread 42 to get the packet?

Will it first handle all the megabyte sized packets, or give the
quick short packet already 'in between' to our "logical core 42"?

Thanks,
Vincent

p.s. i expect of course the answer '42' :)