[Beowulf] Connecting two 24-port IB edge switches to core switch:extra switch hop overhead

Ivan Oleynik iioleynik at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 07:44:23 PST 2009

Tom,

Thanks for your reply. As I explained in my original email 48-port IB switch
would be ideal because the jobs on these 36 nodes will mostly be run locally
within the 36-node complex. However, 48-port IB switch is too expensive,
that is why I am considering alternative cost-effective solutions. I think
we major pattern of the load will be a bunch of 32-64 cpu jobs at maximum,
i.e each of them can fit into 4-8 nodes. These jobs are MPI the
applications, therefore, they require the best bandwidth-latency
env\ironment.

Ivan