[Beowulf] longevity of 1U servers?

Mike Davis jmdavis1 at vcu.edu
Mon Feb 9 10:41:46 PST 2009

David Mathog wrote:.
> Some of us have to keep our hardware running a very long time, and I'm
> concerned that a lot of the 1U hardware isn't going to hold up in the
> long haul.  I have some 2U nodes which are still cranking along in their
> 7th year.  (Yes, it is well past time to replace them.)  In that
> interval around 5 80mm fans (case or power supply, of 80, these were all
> rated at 50000 hours MTBF) have been replaced, most only in the last few
> years, and 1 disk out of 20 failed (in the 7th year).   My limited
> experience with (older) 1U nodes was that the shrieky little fans were
> failure prone and didn't move enough air to keep the innards of the 1U
> case as cool as a 2U case.  Heat is bad for longevity.
>
> Realistically, how long should one expect current 1U servers to last?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Mathog
> mathog at caltech.edu

David,

I believe that you have more to worry about from the current quality
control on Hard Drives than 1u vs. 2 u server. I have 32 1u servers that
I purchased in 2003. I have 90 from 2004, 25 from 2005, 70 from 2007.

My failures include 1 processor/mb from the 2003 batch, and a few Hard
Drives from the 2005 and 2007 batches.

Most of my machines are opterons, the 2003 models are Xeons.

--
Mike Davis			Technical Director
(804) 828-3885			Center for High Performance Computing

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."  George S. Patton