[Beowulf] What is the right lubricant for computer rack sliding rails?

Nifty Tom Mitchell niftyompi at niftyegg.com
Thu Feb 5 13:33:28 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 02:58:06PM -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Gus Correa wrote:
>
>> Dear Beowulfers
>>
>> A mundane question:
>>
>> What is the right lubricant for computer rack sliding rails?
>> Silicone, paraffin, graphite, WD-40, machine oil, grease, other?
>
> If you immerse your nodes in olive oil, it shouldn't be an issue, right?
> ;-)
>
> Otherwise, graphite is the only one I'd reject a priori, as it's a fine
> conducting powder.  Personally I'd use WD, but hell, I'd cook with WD if
> I couldn't find any olive oil...
>
> (The main issue in any case is to be sparing and not spray it so it gets
> sucked into cooling fans.)

Baring feedback from the vendor...

Also shy away from WD-40 as a general lubricant.  It gets gummy over
time.  For slides look at a light grease, perhaps a white lithium
grease like 3M™ White Grease commonly used on some garage doors and
autos.  It only takes a little....

There are also Teflon based white greases and many excellent but black
and dirty molybdenum disulphide greases.  Moly rich grease is interesting
in that the moly "plates" on the surface and if the tolerances are tight
binding (not lubrication) can occur.  On old cars however it can tighten
up things if used sparingly.  As much as I like moly greases I think
a multi-purpose lithium based white grease from an auto supply house is
the best choice in this case.

It only takes a little....

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l