[Beowulf] IBM Sequoia

Kilian CAVALOTTI kilian.cavalotti.work at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 05:19:00 PST 2009

Hi John,

On Tuesday 03 February 2009 18:25:04 John Hearns wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/03/llnl_buys_ibm_supers/
>
> I make this 400 cores per 1U rack unit. How is the counting being done
> here?

Even for the intermediate "development" system, Dawn, the article quotes
150,000 cores in 36 racks. Which makes about 100 cores in a 1U space. That's a
hell of a density...

> This article says 4096 cores per rack:
> http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/03/ibms-sequoia-20x-faster-than-the-worlds-
>fastest-supercomputer/ That seems more rational - 93 racks adds up to 380928
> cores

An even weirdest number around this system is the amount of memory listed.
1.6TB of main memory for 1.6 million cores, that's a mere 1 MB per core... I
hope it's a P, not a T.

Cheers,
--
Kilian