[Beowulf] mpirun command

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri Dec 4 13:04:51 PST 2009

Hi Christian

Your default mpirun seems to be the old LAM MPI.
Do "which mpirun", "mpirun --showme".

You can use the full path name to your MPICH mpirun.
You should also use the full path name to MPICH mpicc to compile
cpi.c, for compatibility.
It is likely that both are somewhere in your /mirror/mpich-1.2.7p1/
directory tree.
I would guess  /mirror/mpich-1.2.7p1/mpicc
and /mirror/mpich-1.2.7p1/mpirun, but you need to check.

Well, MPICH-1 is also old, and often problematic.
Better upgrade from MPICH1 to MPICH2 and/or from LAM/MPI to OpenMPI,
which are open source and relatively easy to build using
the free Gnu compilers (gcc, gfortran):

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/
http://www.open-mpi.org/

You may also take a look at their mailing lists,
for specific help w.r.t. MPI.

If you are on Linux,
there are also MPICH2 RPMs for some Linux distributions:

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/downloads/index.php?s=downloads

My $0.02
Gus Correa
Gustavo Correa