[Beowulf] Help for terrible NFS write performance

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Fri Aug 21 10:56:37 PDT 2009

On 08/21/2009 11:38 AM, Joe Landman wrote:
> Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> /etc/exports:
>> /export *.cora.nwra.com(rw,sync,fsid=0)
>> /export/cora6 *.cora.nwra.com(rw,sync,nohide)
>> /export/working *.cora.nwra.com(rw,sync,nohide)
>
> Ok. There it is... Sync.
>
> Don't need to see anything else.
>
> That is it.

Okay, how afraid should I be of using async?  man exports states:

        async  This option allows the NFS server to violate the NFS
protocol
               and  reply to requests before any changes made by that
request
               have been committed to stable storage (e.g. disc drive).

               Using this option might improve  performance  with
version  2
               only,  but  at the cost that an unclean server restart
(i.e. a
               crash) can cause data to be lost or corrupted.

I tend to like to avoid data loss or corruption.

Thanks!

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com