[Beowulf] newbie

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 30 07:25:26 PDT 2009

2009/4/29 Tomislav Maric <tomislav.maric at gmx.com>:
>> @Prentice Bisbal || Greg Lindahl || John Hearns || anyone
>
> Why Intel compiler? OpenFOAM is compiled with gcc. My mentor instructed
> me to compile it with the same gcc - we communicate via e-mail because
> he's spread all over the world, so I'm keeping the differences in our
> builds as small as possible.

A commercial compiler - Intel / Pathscale /Portland will always give
you better performance from an application.
The guys who work on those compilers care about optimization.

And think about this - if an optimizing compiler can give you 20
percent faster code you effectively can
save buying 20% more hardware, and are saving on 20% power and space.