[Beowulf] Re: ECC Memory and Job Failures (Huw Lynes)

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Apr 23 19:20:02 PDT 2009

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, John Hearns wrote:

> Cosmic rays pass through us all the time - I don't know offhand the
> cosmic ray flux.
> Like Joe I did the cosmic muon lifetime experiment at University.
> I always wanted to do an undergraduate project using CMOS RAM as a
> radiation detector - read and write bit patterns to it, and see if the
> results match.

Funny, I did it too.  One of my favorite undergrad experiments, proves
relativity theory, and there is the always muon catalyzed fusion to muse
over as well.

I don't think memory is all that unstable, especially down where I live.
In Denver, maybe.  I think you need a lot of RAM, for a long time, to
see a lot of radiation induced errors, or a source of high energy
particles.

    rgb