[Beowulf] Rackable / SGI

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 5 10:32:56 PDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 01:50:59PM -0500, Matt Lawrence wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Apr 2009, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>
>> Interesting. Since I'm stuck using Red Hat and IBM, I've been hit by
>> this on a 10TB storage shelf. Red Hat will only offer me ext3 and 8TB.
>> IBM storage on a Megaraid card which handles the disks as one physical
>> volume
>
> I'm using CentOS and the centosplus repository includes kernels that
> support xfs.  Still wind up installing to ext3, but big data filesystems
> can easily be xfs.

Red Hat _only_ - support, you know :(

Tim Cutts and the Sanger Inst. aren't enough to convince senior management
that Debian is workable, even though HP and IBM will both support it.

Linux == a small team of Red Hat admins only with no other skills
required in management speak. (This, regardless of the fact that people
are having to take rpms from CentOS/EPEL/Fedora to actually get work done.)

I do tease my colleagues that at some time they may have to
give up Red Hat's proprietary OS fork and actually learn Linux : if
IBM take over Sun next week, I can more profitably argue that I need no
longer bother to train as a Solaris admin :)

Andy