[Beowulf] SGI and Sun: In Memoriam

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Apr 3 02:19:18 PDT 2009

On 3 Apr 2009, at 12:14 am, Lux, James P wrote:

> But at least the assembler is still source code compatible with your
> code for an 8080.

Is it really?  Do

mov a,m

or

dad d

exist on X86?  I always got the impression that there wasn't real
compatibility between the 8080 and 8086, just that they made the
instruction sets similar enough that translating your code wasn't
*that* painful?

Euch. I really hate Intel opcodes.  I much preferred Zilog's Z80
mnemonics for the same operations which, if I remember correctly, were
LD A,(HL) and ADD HL,DE for the above two instructions, respectively.

Tim