[Beowulf] Rackable / SGI

Mike Davis jmdavis1 at vcu.edu
Thu Apr 2 16:36:18 PDT 2009

Stuart Midgley wrote:

>>> So, to get back to the original discussion, SGI disappearing from the
>>> landscape means one less option to choose from.
>>
>> You think SGI designed the hardware for their non-shared-memory
>> clusters?  I don't thnk so.
>>
>> -- greg
>

> No, SGI use supermicro.  But that isn't really the point.  They did
> design their own shared memory systems and they will be sorely missed
> if they are not continued.  We were really looking forward to a large
> shared memory x86 system.  Hopefully it still eventuates.
>
> Having just purchased a heap of nehalem systems from SGI, the one
> thing we love about them is their fleet-of-foot.  I can ask SGI for a
> quote, they understand what I want and get back to me within a day, no
> stuffing around.  I ask Sun/IBM/HP for the same quote, 2 weeks later,
> 6 or 7 phone calls, 3 visits I still don't have a quote.  Once they
> get it in, it is, without doubt, considerably more expensive and we
> have usually placed a PO with SGI 2 weeks prior.

My experience is the polar opposite. SGI quotes took forever. And that
situation goes back to the mid 90's. I can usually have a Sun quote in
hours.

SGI produced some really good hw for crunching numbers. I used
everything from Indy, to Origin2000's, to Origin350's. I also tried some
of their initial PC hardware in 2000 or so. i was also impressed with
their field Engineers. I hired one when he was laid off in 2001. But I
never had a timely response oin a quote request.

Mike