[Beowulf] Interesting google server design

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Thu Apr 2 10:41:56 PDT 2009

Andrew Piskorski wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 04:56:53PM -0700, Bill Broadley wrote:
>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10209580-92.html
>
> According to that articel, the pictured dual socket server has two
> hard drives, but from the second photo, although the view is obscured
> by the UPS battery, it looks like four drives to me, stacked two high.
> Or if it's really only two drives, what are they sitting on top of?

I don't see how 4 drives would fit.  I believe the drives are on a L bracket,
which is about half as wide as the drives.  Note in the enlarged photo you can
see the motherboard between the drives, looks like they left the IDE traces on
the motherboard, but without IDE connectors.  Similarly missing are most usb
ports, IDE connectors, audio in/out, etc.

Looks like the only thing gigabyte added was the ability to accept 12V from
the power supply.  Definitely a nice layout for front -> back airflow.  No
perpendicular dimms or heatsinks.