[Beowulf] precise synchronization of system clocks

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Sep 29 15:14:55 PDT 2008

1588 is truly one of the more useful things to come out in recent years. I just wish there was more hardware that supported it.  The alternative is something quite clunky.. IRIG time codes + 1pps or Ethernet(ntp)+1pps or other clunky solutions.

There is great value in using the cable you've already got hooked up to carry both the sync and the data needed to interpret it.

In a shameless plug for my own, SpaceWire (which is unlikely to be used in HPC, even if it did originate with Transputers) has time code and sync built in, in part because I kept pushing the folks doing the ECSS spec and giving them good practical examples of it being useful. (http://spacewire.esa.int/content/Standard/Standard.php) It's good to a microsecond, or so (depending on the raw information rate, mostly)

James Lux, P.E.
Task Manager, SOMD Software Defined Radios
Flight Communications Systems Section
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop 161-213
Pasadena, CA, 91109