[Beowulf] What services do you run on your cluster nodes?

richard.walsh at comcast.net richard.walsh at comcast.net
Wed Sep 24 07:45:52 PDT 2008

From: Patrick Geoffray patrick at myri.com

> However, it is only important for large machines with tightly coupled
> codes. For the majority of the cases, it's just being anal.
A point of interest here is that reducing these service-related interrupts was an important element in improving the HPL efficiency of Windows HPC Server 2008 (over 2003) from sub 70% levels to closer to 80%.  I am not sure at what scale this effect starts to become apparent. Sandia's concerns with this issue were what drove Cray to start with catamount on its initial XT3 offerings also.
Regards,
rbw
--

"Making predictions is hard, especially about the future."

Niels Bohr

--

Richard Walsh
Thrashing River Consulting--