[Beowulf] What services do you run on your cluster nodes?

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 23 04:54:13 PDT 2008

2008/9/23 Robert G. Brown <rgb at phy.duke.edu>

> This meant that there could be hundreds or even thousands of machines
> that saw every packet produced by every other machine on the LAN,
> possibly after a few ethernet bridge hops.  This made conditions ripe
> for what used to be called a "packet storm" (a term that has been
> subverted as the name and trademark of a company, I see, but alas there
> is no wikipedia article on same and even googled definitions seem
> scarce, so it is apparently on its way to being a forgotten concept).

Bob, the packet storm is not a forgotten concept. I've seen many a packet
storm, and not that long ago.
On Beowulf clusters. Just think what happens if your Spanning Tree protocol
goes wonky.
That's a reason why I'm no great lover of Ganglia too - it just sprays
multicast packets all over your network.
Which really should be OK - but if you have switches which don't perform
well with multicast you get problems.