[Beowulf] Re: MS Cray

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Thu Sep 18 15:04:33 PDT 2008

Hello James and list

Lux, James P wrote:

>>Other attractions are the nice looking enclosure and the
>>brand name, that make it an object of desire.
>>

>Come on now.. Haven't you always wanted a *Cray* of your very own?

Nope.
I would be happy to use them at national facilities, TeraGrid, etc.
Real Crays belong there.
They make sense there.

Besides, other than the logo, the CX1 doesn't sound as a Cray.
Where is the the innovation in architecture design, the push for new
levels of performance?
I wonder what Seymour Cray would say of it.

>Think of it like a BMW 1-series or Baby Benz

... Ferraris, Lamborghinis ... (yawn)
I have other aesthetic interests.

I drive a rusty 93 Honda Accord,  which makes about 30 miles per gallon.
Who can ask for anything more?
Hmmm ... a new radio, maybe, to listen to WBGO 88.3 FM Jazz Newark with
less hissing.

I can ask for something less, though.
If I lived in NY City, with subway, buses, etc, I wouldn't have a car,
it would be just an unnecessary annoyance.
Not to mention Hubbert's peak and global warming.

Gus Correa

Gustavo J. Ponce Correa, PhD - Email: gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
P.O. Box 1000 [61 Route 9W] - Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA