[Beowulf] Re: MS Cray

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 17 13:12:33 PDT 2008

In the model here at JPL, you wouldn't have a full time SA anyway. You'd get the services of one of the instutional SA army for your monthly fee.

If you have a "computing project" (say, building a cluster), and a fulltime SA is part of the project, then you'd not buy the institutional services.  Your private SA is then responsible for all the institutional requirements (which can be substantial).  Such computers are "unsubscribed" computers, and you have to go through a (fairly simple) justification process to explain how it's not actually a desktop. (The cost to provide "desktop" support within an organization has been documented as being higher than from the outside vendor)

The institutional contract is very much oriented towards "desktop" services, not towards "software development support".  We have hundreds of computers that are not subscribed, and which have dedicated SA services, provided by inhouse staff.

I think that rgb is right, though, that there are certain size and structure organizations for which things are different. It's tied to the "granularity" of buying people.

For very small organizations, it's the "office mgr as admin" model, and they might call a consultant in for more complex things (I used to earn my living doing just this.. I'd do the server configs, cabling, etc, set up accounts, etc., build scripts.) I think the threshold for this is when SA duties are down in the few hours/week range.

Then there are very large organizations (like JPL, or Fortune 500 companies) for which standardizing desktops and centralized support make sense.

In between, it's when you have organizations that have enough work to justify about a full time person (or, maybe, 1/2 a person) for their SA job and moving up to a few FTE.  You likely have some SA reserve capacity, so the incremental cost for adding one computer is small (as in almost zero), and in this situation, the choice between delta pay for an SA (zero) and $150/month for a service contract is an easy one to make.

Overall institutional structure has a lot to do with it. Academia, in general, has a strong departmental structure, and individual departments tend to be run as independent businesses.  As a result, they're sort of working like small/medium sized businesses, with the same zero delta $ for SA vs monthly fee.  Some departments are full of technically skilled folks, some of whom for which the incremental hourly cost is very low. If you have someone on salary,  "can you spend a half hour looking at my computer" is free (until that poor SA gets overloaded and burns out, or graduates).

And, small entreprenurial organizations are incorrigble optimists. (anyone in academic research has to be an optimist,.. The bold grant proposal typically wins.) They will willingly accept the risk that something that is expensive to fix won't crop up.  Very small organizations take the risk, because they can't afford otherwise. More than one small company has gone out of business because their computer died, taking all the business records with it. Very large organizations are conservative.

To a certain extent, the monthly fee is sort of like insurance.. You can gamble that no "big problem" crops up that is beyond your inhouse SA capability, and that you can do minimal SA work. OTOH, you can pay the monthly fee, and when a disaster occurs (a virus infects all your computers, or there's a regulatory compliance edict that requires you to do something to all 50 of your computers), the service provider sucks it up and does it. (on the odds that not everyone has a problem at the same time)

Jim