[Beowulf] MS Cray

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Tue Sep 16 14:01:41 PDT 2008

John Hearns wrote:

> 2008/9/16 Prentice Bisbal <prentice at ias.edu <mailto:prentice at ias.edu>>
>
>     That will work great until the newbie scientists find that airflow into
>     a computer tucked in "behind their desk where no one can see it" is piss
>     poor, and that fans powerful enough to provide adequate airflow "behind
>     the desk where no one can see it" are going to be LOUD.
>
> Ahem.
>

> "Because the CX1 sits in an office environment, the front of the chassis
> has an optional noise cancellation add-on, which drops the whirring of
> fan noise down to the point where it is actually legal to put it in an
> office environment."
>

> When I worked at Streamline, we demoed a blade cluster in a
> noise-cancelling APC rack enclosure at a conference we ran. It sat
> running away at full lilt at the back of the room as people delivered
> their talks, and no-one noticed till we opened the front door.
> I guess this is somethign similar.

You got me. I saw that when I continued reading the article *after* my
post. I was hoping no one else read the article to the end.

Noise-cancellation devices may help keep the noise down, but the air
flow under or "behind" a desk is still a problem. Fans can only move air
if there's a place for the air to come from, and a place for the air to go.

--
Prentice