[Beowulf] Re: GPU boards and cluster servers.

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 5 11:23:58 PDT 2008

AFAIK only rich government departments do business with companies
such as DELL.

If you're real big you HAVE to sign some sort of deal with a big
store anyway.

DELL delivers very old junk for the price you can get newer junk
usual. Big companies have big overhead,
maybe sometimes simply because they decided they WANT x% profit on
all deals.

I remember at some company i worked for a few months, that i got from
DELL hardware that wasn't getting sold even anymore.

Obviously that means the service contract in question is just wasting
government money.

The big trick all salesman understand and civil servant type managers/
directors do not so well understand is that something
that's new this year, that if you deliver that 2 years from now, that
it's total outdated. Not long ago i heard that a specific
company bought off a service contract delivering XT machines.

For those here who want to run artificial intelligent software they
all have a big need for crunching power at a low price,
much in contradiction to the rest here which just wants
double precision AND big bandwidth AND big ram usually AND 100%
reliability.

At 100% reliability and BIG ram AND big bandwidth to huge RAM, there
is a big price.

Optimizations in that category tree searching software and such
(encryption is just a subsection of it)
happen at a level which most guys here at this list will never
understand. It is much better optimized than other software.

There happens sometimes the kind of optimizations that hardware
engineers, not exactly layman,
sometimes say: "oh dear is that the case?",  when talking to them.

Suppose you search for the holy grail at a GPU  and 1 gpu's RAM is
bad, so all your calculations there failed.

Heh, you won't even notice it soon, as you have no 'result' that is
deterministically verifiable.

An example is a parameter optimization i want to perform for my
chessprogram. I would need to write a new program for it
which is huge at a GPU, basically that program would only be the
evaluation function of my program.

Such optimization runs are embarrassingly parallel.

What matters is simply how many instructions a cycle i can push through.

Having at home a few GPU's do that crunching work is very attractive.

Biggest problem of GPU's is that i have no money to buy a machine to put
a GPU in, let alone buy GPU's just to toy with it.

So that's why a friend of mine is hopefully gonna run it at a core or
160 Xeons at TU-Delft,
when the machines are idle and not getting used by others. Probably
the best project name for this is Ikarus,
wasn't it that it is already an existing chess programs name, as the
final goal is to explore possibilities after auto recognizing
new patterns in a later phase.

Will run for years.

The big difference in this type of crunching power is that if
something goes wrong, that's not a problem;
If a bit flips or whatever, it all doesn't matter. I just need the
best parameter set it can find for me when searching for the holy grail.

I understand Bo Li there very well. He wants the maximum amount of
crunching power and can do with 32 bits.

A good 1000 watt psu here is around a 100 euro. For under 500 euro
you can assemble a great box, then only add the GPU's.

Getting 40% performance out of a videocard is very impressive by the
way, especially if i consider that no one around me with
different types of software (from statistical software to monte carlo
to multimedia encoding) doesn't get anywhere near that performance
out of it.

Yet the difference is, is that all persons here who are cheering for
the GPU crunching power, are the same type of guys.
Though on paper the software is doing something total different, they
all search for some sort of holy grail in an embarrassingly
parallel manner. The failed attempts are usually game tree searches
that need to combine somehow results using hashtables
and/or FFT type tries.

Vincent