[Beowulf] Re: Not all cases need be metal

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Mon Oct 27 16:32:14 PDT 2008

I missed most of this thread, so somebody may have already pointed this
out, but cases are metal not just for fire safety reasons.  The case is
usually made of a good conductor so that it will also shield the radio
emissions from the electronics housed inside.  Failure to do so could in
theory bring the wrath of the FCC down on you (in the U.S.), or at least
make you really unpopular with your neighbors.  I wonder if the new
digital TV tuners are more or less sensitive to this sort of thing than
were the old analog tuners?  I'm thinking they are likely to be more
sensitive, since weak channels we could pick up with varying amounts
of "snow" and multipath using an analog tuner tend to be a big nothing
with a digital tuner.

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu