[Beowulf] Security issues

Geoff Jacobs gdjacobs at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 16:29:05 PDT 2008

Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2008, Geoff Jacobs wrote:
>
>> Or package the source packages and submit them upstream. Volunteer for a
>> life of servitude!
>
> Well, I was thinking more of site-specific custom cuts a la this sort
> of thing:
>
>> Usually when I build a cluster, I make local builds of MPICH2 for each
>> compiler. This does not fit well with the paradigm of really any distro
>> I've ever seen, which is why I leave it as a custom layer on top of e.g.
>> Debian and do not package it.
>
> (which you wouldn't, probably, want to submit back upstream:-) but yes...

The layer isn't so much packaging as organization.

>> I have yet to see a distro do multiarch really well, so for the moment I
>> try to work around (or perhaps above) the system and avoid using APT/YUM
>> for handling multiple architectures/compiler toolchains.
>
> Multiarch isn't that bad -- it requires maintaining twinned repos for
> the different archs, and I'm sure both rpm and fedora distros do this
> pretty much transparently for i386 and x86_64 and less so (for no
> terribly good reason but fewer users) for any of the other archs out
> there.  But multiple compilers -- wow.  Never really thought of that
> one.

If it were just that, yeah, I could work with different chroots.
Unfortunately, the problem is not quite so simple. As I said, different
compilers and different build dependencies.

> Maybe I should ask an actual question on the yum list (which, after all,
> I endure listening to on a daily basis) and see if there are any
> suggestions for compiler management.  What do you do, install particular
> compilers per system and then need packages to match, or install all the
> per-compiler packages on all systems and select the one you link to some
> other way?

I've worked with a trinity of GNU/PGI/Intel. Portland is the most
notorious offender in terms of binary incompatibility, so I just make
builds for each and shell scripting to allow each user to switch
wrappers. It's really very simple, and I haven't found a need to change
the method in a few years. The compilers themselves stay more-or-less
static, so the builds only need updating if I change the MPI layer.

I need to do some more work with OpenMPI to get a real feel for their
layout, but from the indications OTW at FSU, for example, OpenMPI can be
handled the same.

--
Geoffrey D. Jacobs