[Beowulf] Cluster Architecture

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Oct 22 15:32:47 PDT 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Douglas Eadline wrote:

> <shameless plug>
>
> http://www.clustermonkey.net is great place to look.
>
> </shameless plug>

I'll second that, just to keep Doug from being quite so shameless.

Heck he <shameless plug>has a lot of my stuff up there</shameless plug>
so it MUST be good, doesn't it?

On another subject (not quite hijacking the thread, just a comment:-) I
just finished reading the Linux Pro mag that replaced the remainder of
my Linux Mag subscription, and they have a nifty little article on how a
consortium of companies including IBM, RH and Lotus are aggressively
going after the linux desktop in business.  Apparently MS's Vista
debacle has the smell of blood in the water, the bleating of the lamb
(in their latest "I am a PC" Mac-responsive ads) excites the tiger, the
fact that both Lenovo and Dell are releasing really, really cheap linux
laptops ($350-ish), and perhaps a sense of long awaited payback from IBM
(royally screwed by MS over OS/2) and Lotus (royally screwed by MS over
spreadsheets in general) is helping to drive this.

They don't have to succeed in the US to succeed, and in Europe
(especially in Russia) business linux boxes are very popular with the
government and many businesses who don't have the large prior investment
in MS systems to act as ballast.  As I've been predicting for years that
the day would come, I'm watching with great interest to see if it has at
long last arrived...:-)

    rgb