[Beowulf] Re: PowerEdge SC 1435: Unexplained Crashes.

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Fri Oct 17 10:38:20 PDT 2008

Rahul Nabar wrote:
>> Look on the front of your system, there should be numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4
>> next to the power switch. If you get an error, some of these will light
>> up to produce an error code. you can give that error code to support to
>> help narrow down the source of the problem. I don't think the meaning of
>> the codes are documented anywhere public.
>
> Thanks Prentice. I know about those LEDs. Unfortunately none light up.
> Only the Power indicator led turns orange from its usual blue. And it
> sucks that the SC1435's do not have the tiny LCD that flashes an error
> message (like on my PowerEdge 6248)

I'm in the same boat as you at the moment. I highly recommend you
download Dell's DSET or Online-Diagnostics tool to help you figure out
what's going on. Of the two, I prefer DSET (Dell System E-Support Tool)
much more. It takes 15-20 minutes to run, but once you run it, it gives
you a bunch of information, and doesn't require any services/daemons to
be running (which online-diags does)

The DSET output is a zip file. Unzip it somewhere where you can open the
files with a web browser, then open the .hta file in the top level with
your web browser. Look at the ESM logs to see what caused your LED to
start blinking orange. In my case, it has been intermittent memory errors.

The latest version of DSET is v1.6, A00, dated 5/28/2008.

--
Prentice