[Beowulf] Compute Node OS on Local Disk vs. Ram Disk

Eric Thibodeau kyron at neuralbs.com
Fri Oct 3 17:27:43 PDT 2008

Bogdan Costescu wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Eric Thibodeau wrote:
>
>> the NFS root approach only does changes on the head node and changed
>> files don't need to be propagated and are accessed on a as-needed
>> basis, this might have significant impacts on large deployments
>
> NFS-root doesn't scale too well, the implementation of NFS in Linux is
> quite chatty.
Someone else responded to this, and expect even more scalability
performance with NFSv4...lots more ;)

>> I'll take your word for it that they have a version tracking mechanism.
>
> Take my word that if you're going into larger installations with the
> least amount of non-homogeneity you'll want to at least read about, if
> not use, such mechanisms :-)

Well, "large" is relative, if I have a 32k core cluster with all
identical HW, all I really need for this "large" installation is a
single image.. It's the diversity that kills that then requires tight
version/config tracking, even if all the images are managed from a
single point..but that's trivial common sense ;)

Eric