[Beowulf] Has DDR IB gone the way of the Dodo?

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Fri Oct 3 11:24:50 PDT 2008

Alan Louis Scheinine wrote:
> NiftyOMPI Mitch wrote
>> QDR is interesting... in all likelyhood the
>> QDR game will be optical for any link further away than a single rack.
>> Once IB goes optical there will be a lot of reason to install IB in
>> machine rooms and campus sites that are just out of reach today.
>
> When will IB go optical at a reasonable price?

Folks I know in the IB industry mentioned:
* QDR price life cycle should be similar to the DDR price life cycle.
* QDR Cable lengths over copper are rather poor
* fiber transceivers are finally starting to catch up.

QDR over fiber should be "reasonably priced", here's hoping that the days of
Myrinet 250MB/sec optical cables will return.

Corrections/comments welcome.