[Beowulf] Compute Node OS on Local Disk vs. Ram Disk

stephen mulcahy smulcahy at aplpi.com
Thu Oct 2 05:56:41 PDT 2008

John Hearns wrote:
> Hmmmm.... can I forsee Puppy Linux HPC Edition ????
> http://www.puppylinux.org/
>

> Being half serious here, is it worth trying to get one of these
> slimmed-down distros to the state where it will run an HPC job?
> Oh, and in addition to a barebones install for our contemplative
> cluster, they have a onebones install which cuts out the GUI (cue more
> dog puns).

Is there that much of a difference between Puppy and a minimal Debian
where you install only the "standard server" task (I understand Puppy is
a Debian derivative, apologies if this is incorrect)?

Or am I swinging my Debian swiss-army chainsaw indiscriminately here?

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy       Applepie Solutions Ltd.      http://www.aplpi.com
Registered in Ireland, no. 289353 (5 Woodlands Avenue, Renmore, Galway)