[Beowulf] Compute Node OS on Local Disk vs. Ram Disk

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Oct 2 05:18:30 PDT 2008

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Eric Thibodeau wrote:

> the NFS root approach only does changes on the head node and changed
> files don't need to be propagated and are accessed on a as-needed
> basis, this might have significant impacts on large deployments

NFS-root doesn't scale too well, the implementation of NFS in Linux is
quite chatty.

> I'll take your word for it that they have a version tracking mechanism.

Take my word that if you're going into larger installations with the
least amount of non-homogeneity you'll want to at least read about, if
not use, such mechanisms :-)

--
Bogdan Costescu

IWR, University of Heidelberg, INF 368, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone: +49 6221 54 8869/8240, Fax: +49 6221 54 8868/8850
E-mail: bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de