[Beowulf] Re: MOSIX2

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 1 11:22:57 PDT 2008

Well Tony,

Things are pretty simple for using SSI at your beowulf cluster.

The short summary:

a) openmosix is dead
b) open-ssi is still alive

Simple tip: go for open-ssi.

A bit longer explanation:

a) openmosix is dead. I can confirm that even wikipedia has that.
      Openmosix was an Israeli project and therefore died when It's
Israeli main developer left, for whatever reason.
       He has left a very clear statement that he no longer works on
openmosix.
      What usually happens is that 1 or 2 enthusiasts then do an
effort to support it. If that doesn't work for you,
      then consider it dead.

Using kernels 2.4.x is not realistic for todays quadcores. That was
the status in 2005, that is in 2008 still the status.
In 2005 if i remember well i used kernel 2.6.7 for a quad opteron
dual core.
Using kernel 2.4.x versus 2.6.x numa gave at a dual opteron dual core
a speedloss of 50% for my chessproggie.
50% is *a lot* to lose in speed.

Supporting a thing like openmosix requires a lot more than 1 guy who
in order to modify 3 bytes needs 1000 dollar.

What you see a lot is that open source projects get hijacked by
people who want to make cash out of it.
In the world i come from, computerchess, i remember already since
1988 that this happens every year several
times. The developers usually get really demotivated when they work
for hundreds of hours at their 'money project',
and then just make under a 1000 dollar; at the macdonalds you make
more money.

In short such projects usually die soon also, as there is no money
for them into it. Most nerds are social seen total robots.

b) open-ssi is there fore several distributions and actively
supported by several developers.
It is there, it works, it improves and it works for latest kernels
also (yes also 2.6.x).

In itself it would be GREAT if there is 1 open source project there,
as that joins forces more. My hope is that open-ssi
will work great for highend nic's also and slowly get to a phase that
all features work great.

OpenMosix nor openssi could migrate processes that work with shared
memory, a nerd feature i like personally a lot.

Just claiming that they use 'stolen' features like page migration is
like claiming that linux stole multithreading from unix;
it is a bad attempt to smear dirt just to earn a 1000 dollar.

It is not a reason to not use it. It is a bad attempt to spit at
these guys who donate time and their money without asking for payment.

Vincent