[Beowulf] Windows in top 10

Håkon Bugge hbugge at platform.com
Fri Nov 21 01:01:09 PST 2008

At 07:06 21.11.2008, Greg Lindahl wrote:
>A while back a customer of PathScale issued a press release about how
>they were running Windows on their supercomputer, with InfiniPath
>interconnect. We were kinda surprised, since we didn't have Windows
>drivers.
>
>So I was curious about the Dawning 5000A... the previous supercomputers
>in this series ran Linux. But the top500 entry trumpets Windows. Well...
>
>http://tyan.com/newsroom_pressroom_detail.aspx?id=1289
>
>This press release says it runs Linux and Windows. That's a bit more
>credible; I wonder if they actually had to buy the Windows software?

The top500 list is not very trustworthy in my
opinion. I guess I posted an example some years
ago of a Myrinet cluster on the list owned by
Statoil (Norwegian Oil company). Only problem was
that Statoil didn't have any Myrinet clusters.
They had clusters with the same spec except the
interconnect though. So the entry kinda depicted
_if_ that cluster had been equipped with Myrinet,
_then_ it would (could?)  have been able to achieve the result.

Håkon