[Beowulf] RRDtools graphs of temp from IPMI

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat Nov 8 21:14:10 PST 2008

To Bernard, Chris and Joe, especially,

Thanks!

Now, for the flame-bait.  Bernard suggests cacti and/or ganglia to
handle this.  Our group have heard some mutterings that ganglia is a
"chatty" applicaiton and could cause some potential hits on or 1 Gbe
interconnect fabric.

A little background on our current implementation:  126 dual-quad core
Xeon Dell 1950's interconnected with gigabit ethernet.  No, it's not the
world's best MPI machine, but it should... and does... perform admirably
for throughput applications where most jobs can be run on a node (or
two) but which don't use MPI as much as, e.g., OpenMP, or in some cases,
even run on a single core but use all the RAM.

So, we're worried a bit about having everything talk on the same gigabit
backplane, hence, so far, no ganglia.

What are the issues I might want to worry about in this regard,
especially as we expand this cluster to more nodes (potentially going to
2k cores, or, essentially doubling?

Thanks, gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.862.3982 FAX: 979.862.3983