[Beowulf] SiCortex experience anyone?

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue May 27 13:05:49 PDT 2008

Steve Cousins wrote:

>> eh?  blade systems are just tweaks for packaging and cable-management.
>> I don't believe they have much if any advantage over well-designed
>> non-blade hardware.  or did you mean that both blades and sicortex
>> are basically boutique approaches, as opposed to fungible/commodity?
>

> I was using the blade example just because of the similarity of having a
> stand-alone system with a single power source.

Different paradigms save in the idea that Blades are simply a way to
concentrate heat and make you always come back to one vendor for
additions or replacements.  I don't like to lock into a single vendor
unless they're well proven.  I've made the blade mistake with a vendor
who, overall, always did the right thing, but having a bunch of blades
did little more than look cool when I needed to expand.

gerry