[Beowulf] Linux bios was Re: ECC support

Toon Moene toon at moene.indiv.nluug.nl
Fri May 23 13:40:06 PDT 2008

Mark Hahn wrote:

>> Fascinating !  So now the trend reverses - I reboot every week,
>> because I want to keep my Debian testing setup up-to-date (OpenSSL,
>> anyone :-), but
>
> the thing I find sad is that the sugar-coating of linux (ubuntu etc)
> has meant that many people have lost track of the fact that most unix
> config changes do _not_ require reboots.  the debian "oops, your keys
> are 15b
> not 1024" fixes definitely didn't need a reboot, but the distros focus
> on making a linux act like windows, so...

Rationale: Why do I reboot after the weekly apt-get update && apt-get
dist-upgrade of my *testing* home system ?
Every now and then, something important gets updated (e.g. a "minor"
kernel upgrade, that also tends to reset your carefully thought out grub
config, etc.

I want to know that that's happening right after it has been changed.

If you run into this sort of configuration file hell 3-4 months after
the updates were made, you have *no* chance remembering what happened.

Oh, and for those who still do not understand why I run testing:  I
installed Debian stable (as of April last year) on my new quad core, 4
Gbyte RAM, 640 Gbyte disk hardware bought in December (the last time I
installed such a system, I had a Cray engineer on site :-).

No problem.  However, it was woefully out-of-date to do any GCC
development on it *by that time*.

Hence my need for Debian testing.

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon at moene.indiv.nluug.nl - phone: +31 346 214290