[Beowulf] Mix different drives in RAID (WD4000YR and WD5000YS)

Yaroslav Halchenko list-beowulf at onerussian.com
Wed May 21 18:04:34 PDT 2008

> They are both SATA-2 (3Gb/s) HDDs. With the replacement drive
well - I was more worrying about difference in seek time etc, but so far
didn't find any difference in such vital characteristics.

just now found that I was running at SATA150 instead of SATA300+NCQ (was
turned off to diagnose the problem which boiled at the end to
insufficient power supply) -- probably will enable it after some
unforeseen yet reboot of the system (I doubt that I should reset the
RAID controller on running system, though I have cache battery)

Also firmware -- good catch -- I will check it for all the drives in the
RAID ;-) might benefit from upgrade (though rule remains "not broken -
do not touch) -- I had really bad behavior with another hardware raid
after firmware upgrade -- had to downgrade to get system running

--
                                  .-.
                   Linux User    ^^-^^    [175555]