[Beowulf] Linux bios was Re: ECC support

Jim Lux james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue May 20 17:30:45 PDT 2008

Quoting Douglas Eadline <deadline at eadline.org>, on Tue 20 May 2008
03:47:06 PM PDT:

> If I were MS I would be real worried about this.
> But then, I'm just a cluster geek.
>
> Splashtop, if I understand it correctly quickly
> launches a lightweight Linux capable of running
> certain applications like firefox.
>
> The idea is that instead of waiting for your computer
> to boot a full OS, you can power up a browser, instant
> message client, voip etc. in a few seconds. Combined
> with the growing "web space applications" this could
> challenge the traditional "desktop". It is my observation,
> that the first application people touch is the one they
> often use. Why wait (and wait) for Vista?

Mind you, most users of XP or Vista these days don't reboot but every
few weeks, if that often.

They just put their computer to sleep or hibernate.

I only reboot when installing new software that requires it (not that
there's any good reason why installing software should require a
reboot, but that's what the mfr of the software has decided is
needed...) or when there's a power failure, or when one of the patches
from "Patch Tuesday" once a month needs it.

The WinXP tablet laptop I'm typing this on was last booted a month ago
on 21 April, and a casual review of the event log shows that I wind up
rebooting perhaps every 6 weeks or so for one reason or another.

Jim Lux