[Beowulf] TOE on Linux?

Gilad Shainer Shainer at mellanox.com
Tue May 20 14:19:14 PDT 2008

> base, one
> >>
> >> is this a theoretical feature, or something that people really do?
> >>
> >> I think the term RDMA leads some people astray because it
> sounds as
> >> if you get something like a sysv shared-memory segment across
> >> machines.
> >> it's easy to imagine that something like that would be very
> >> convenient for the kind of shared data you're talking about.
> >
> > It is a real product. I can connect you to the vendor if you would
> > like to.
>
> sorry, I specifically was wondering about real applications,
> not vendors.
>
> but do you imply that IB RDMA is being used to provide the
> kind of network shared-memory I described?  that is, not
> put/get, but an area which is accessed directly as if it's
> local memory, but for which machine-level loads and stores
> are translated to RDMA transactions?  traditionally, this
> kind of thing depends on the host's MMU, which means that
> certain important cases (many-writer pages) are
> pathologically slow.  does IB provide some hardware support
> that ameliorates this problem?
>
> is the vendor you're talking about ScaleMP?

No it is not ScaleMP. Since this vendor solution (or product) is still
non-public, I can not provide more than just high level. I will more
than happy to update the list when they will be out with it, Basically
you can create a pool of memory that will behave as a shared cache, and
it fall into what you have described.

Gilad.