[Beowulf] VMC - Virtual Machine Console

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Mar 7 08:57:35 PST 2008

Peter Skomoroch wrote:

> Extra Large Instance:
>
>       15 GB memory
>       8 EC2 Compute Units (4 virtual cores with 2 EC2 Compute Units each)
>       1,690 GB instance storage (4 x 420 GB plus 10 GB root partition)
>       64-bit platform
>       I/O Performance: High

Note:  minor criticism, but overall, nice results.

Looking over your bonnie results is worth a quick comment.  Any time you
have bonnie or IOzone (or other IO benchmarks) which are testing file
sizes less than ram size, you are not actually measuring disk IO.  This
is cache speed pure and simple.  Either page/buffer cache, or RAID
cache, or whatever.

We have had people tell us to our face that their 2GB file results (on a
16 GB RAM machine) were somehow indicative of real file performance,
when, if they walked over to the units they were testing, they would
have noticed the HD lights simply not blinking ...  Yeah, an amusing
beer story (the longer version of it), but a problem none-the-less.

Your 1GB file data is likely more representative, but with 15 GB ram,
you need to be testing 30-60 GB files.

Not trying to be a marketing guy here or anything like that ... we test
our JackRabbit units with 80GB to 1.3TB sized files.  We see (sustained)
750 MB/s - 1.3 GB/s in these tests.  We also note some serious issues
with the linux buffer cache and multiple RAID controllers (buffer cache
appears to serialize access).  We do this as we actually want to measure
disk performance, and not buffer cache performance.

That criticism aside, nice results.  It shows what a "cloud" can do.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com