[Beowulf] Re: "hobbyists"

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Jun 25 08:39:32 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 16:50 +0200, Geoff Galitz wrote:

> I've never really bought the argument that biofuels are causing a food
> shortage considering that there is still so much unused farmland in the US
> and farming practices here in the EU.  I must admit this out of my field so
> I have no real evidence to support my suspicion, but there have been a
> trickle of articles from publications like Der Spiegel and the NY Times
> which indicate there is some suspicion these shortages have just as much to
> do with commodity speculation and manipulation.

Hauling this thread back closer to the track, there is an article in
this week's Economist magazine entitled
"How computers can help to cut carbon emissions"
http://www.economist.com/business/displayStory.cfm?source=hptextfeature&story_id=11585208

Me, I think looking at the amount of watts that a typical cluster uses
we're more likely to ADD to global warming.