[Beowulf] Go-playing machines

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 25 07:39:49 PDT 2008

You raise an interesting question there, which is: "how are humans
doing it".

When i discussed this recentely with a brain researcher (so the type of
researcher that really puts brains in a 3-Tesla MRI scanner) i also
quoted the
old fashioned theories as that the brain works at like 12Hz.

His answer was very surprising (apologies to not know the English
word for
it) that the central part at where all the brain cells connect to, is
at far higher
speed than what i assumed it is taking decisions. Something in the order
of 200 kHz to 400 Mhz. The thing unknown in how it exactly works to
researchers
is this high speed central nerve system.

Thousands of times faster than i assumed it worked at, which was my
big surprise.

If we multiply that speed by a few billion brain cells then obviously
we should revisit
our idea on how the brain works. Maybe a new entry in wiki is needed
for them as well :)

As for the 1000^3 cube, there is of course a lot of searching
algorithms that are yet there
waiting for us to get invented. Simple ideas sometimes work rather
well when combined
with a few others.

The classical example open to invention still is multiplication of
big numbers and matrix calculations;
to avoid questions there and zoom in: if it is possible to first do
some slow conversion to fourier space, then
multiply it there and then convert it back to radix2, obviously it is
also possible to have a direct O (n log n)
algorithm that can achieve a bigger throughput of bits per limbs
multiplied.

The real fundamental problem there has more to do with: "what do
companies pay for".
Companies hardly ever pay for research, they let government pay for
that in general.
Companies are there to produce products and earn on them. Any form of
research objectively
seen therefore is overhead unnecessary, where they only invest in
when it is absolutely necessary.

Additionally most departments of universities where sometimes a few
PHD's are doing research,
they have little experience yet in their field. Fields are so
advanced nowadays, it not seldom takes 10 years to
master it. Most professors are fulltime busy with meetings and have no
time to even keep up with the latest theories and developments in
their fields.

The number of persons that really can do research therefore is really
limited and fundamental research like
investigating new manners of doing a matrix calculation more
efficient, is hardly getting sponsored,
even when there is a direct military reason to do so.

As i figured out the hard way, first proving you can do better than
other scientists and THEN asking for funding,
is not clever either.

So to get back on the original brain question: "how are humans doing it"
My answer is that the majority messes up so bigtime, that it is
unclear how *some* are doing it.

Vincent